Wednesday, September 8, 2010

STARTING OVER


Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Dear Betty,
It’s so very strange: we spent all of thirty minutes together sitting at a red plastic covered table in a convention center, surrounded by hundreds of people and, unbeknownst to me at that time, in those thirty minutes...my life did a 180.

I gave you a copy of my book, you shared your faith, you sang to me, we touched, we hugged; we connected. You told me you usually read only Christian books and that you taught Sunday school in New Orleans, or what use to be New Orleans. I sensed a strong resolve in you to use this tragedy to help others. You asked for a copy of my book for a friend, and I left a pile with you telling you they were tools to use in your future ministry of touching the world.

I asked, “What now? What are your options?”
We are near the same age, late 50’s. I am set for life and you are starting over with nothing. You have a son, a daughter-in-law and grandbabies; you could live with them and be a resident grandma. You said that while you loved your family, you were sensing that this was the time for a new beginning for Betty Jefferson. That Betty Jefferson, all by herself, had things to do. You just weren’t sure what, or where.

I shared with you what I tell women all the time. I believe we are all sent to the earth with an assignment from God. These assignments are so unique, that only we, with our individual talents and abilities can accomplish them. When I said that, I saw a spark of excitement dance across your soul. We also agreed that He has the ability to place you precisely where He wants you to be...when He wants you to be there.

We talked a moment about the fact that sometimes we get comfortable and stuck in whatever life we find ourselves. It may not be the best life, but there is a measure of safety in the known, and the opportunity for failure in the unknown. So we hunker down, doing our little bit for God in our predefined parameters. All the time God is whispering day and night, “You’re bigger than this...there’s more to you...I have other people you can touch, but they don’t live in your box.... Get out.... Be who you are in My eyes…. Be who I called you to be.”

As the Divine whispers continue, we make excuses, because as Marlee LeDai tells us, “Stepping into unfamiliar territory shakes our stereotypes, rattles our defenses, and redefines our paradigms.”
You can say that again, Marlee!
At one point in our conversation you grinned wryly and commented, “If we don’t heed His whispers, He yells.”
Yes, my friend He does. Or sends an angel.

Do you remember the story in the Old Testament about how God’s people were being harassed by their enemy? The situation was dire. The land had been ravaged until they had nothing left and lived 24/7 in terror. Young Gideon was hiding, so to speak, behind the barn minding his own business and trying to keep out of trouble. Then God sent the angel who said something like, “Yo, Gideon...the Lord is with you...you mighty warrior!”

I can just see Gideon look around and say, “Who me?” In essence he was saying, “Whoa God! You got the wrong boy!” Like most of us, when God says something outside our comfort zone we start the, “Yeah but,” deal.
Gid was no different. “But Sir,” he whined, “If the Lord is with us, why are we in such a mess? Where are His wonders we’ve heard so much about? He seems to have abandoned us. We need help! Why doesn’t He do something?”
The angel’s answer was not what Gideon was looking for. He wanted God to “fix this mess,” but God’s answer to the problem was inside Gideon. The angel said, “You go and save the people. Am I not sending you?”
Again the, “yes, but….”

“But Lord, how can I save Israel? My family is not much and even they think I’m nothing.”
The boy’s self-esteem had bottomed out. But God didn’t see Gideon the way Gideon saw himself. God always speaks to our potential, not our limitations. So He simply answered him the way He answers us when we come up with excuses.
He said, “Go in the strength you have and I will be with you.”

So, Miss Betty, why am I telling you a Bible story you no doubt know by heart? Probably because I need to hear it myself. They say in the Chinese language the word for disaster and opportunity are the same. Interesting thought, is it not?

Later My Friend,
W.G.

1 comment:

  1. I love that. The word for disaster and opportunity are the same in Chinese. I know it is hard for me to step out of my comfort zone. But looking back on some of the situations in my life, I see a pattern of change for the good blossoming from disasterous happenings or what I perceived to be. God already has a plan for us. We just have to not be resistant on the path to our purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave a Comment